Friday, February 26, 2010

Blast from the Past

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I did my morning blog check and saw that I had been given an award by my blog buddy (and only follower) over at Little Farm. Growing. I've been walking around the past 24 hours, trying to come up with 7 things about myself (really). Not as easy as it sounds. I mean I can't just say "I am in dire need of a haircut" and "My dog just ripped a ridiculously stinky fart." I don't think that's the kind of thing they had in mind.

So, while I come up with my list, I will leave you with this:

Yesterday, I was listening to Pandora.com while working and was surprised to hear a song from my dark, distant past. Yes, back in my teenage years, I was a big (HUGE, really) fan of Huey Lewis and the News. Hey, it was Back to the Future days; what can I say? (Full disclosure: By the time Back to the Future came out, I had been a fan since the early 1980s. I was so cool!) So while my friends were rocking out to John Cougar or the Pet Shop Boys, I was crooning along with Huey and the boys. But how did Pandora know that? I hadn't set up any stations based on dated 80s' music. The "station" it was playing on was the one I "seeded" with the likes of U2, Cake, Glen Hansard, Shawn Colvin, Lyle Lovett, and The Killers (among others). How does HLN fit in with that crowd? Is Pandora psychic or omniscient, looking deep into my mind to discover my hidden likes and dislikes?


In an attempt to solve this mystery, I clicked on the "why on earth was this song selected" button, and here's what it said:
Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features electric rock instrumentation (OK), R&B influences (yes, good), a subtle use of vocal harmony (cool), major key tonality (um, huh?), and prominent organ (really?).
Apparently I am a fan of organ music. Who knew? (Well, apparently, Pandora knew.)

Stay tuned for my fascinating list of tidbits. I'm sure you are quaking with anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment