Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Will Stop Venting About This Project

Really, I will. As soon as I finish it up and send it off to the publishers. But until then, here's an example of the latest text to fall under "things that annoy me about this project":

Hence the number of frequencies to be selected must be judiciary decided. The same holds two for the other analysis technique i.e. Short Time Fourier analysis and wavelet analysis.

This needs a whole lot of fixin' on a whole lot of levels, and I know it's my job as editor to do that fixin' to the best of my non-science-brain ability. But I am beginning to think they "wrote" this book by dictating it into the very speech-recognition software that they are describing how to build (the subject of this particular chapter). Couldn't they have at least given the chapters a quick proofread before sending everything off to be published?

And on another note, I now have an image of the authors looking like Lili von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles, singing "Morning, noon, and night, it's dwink and dancing / Some quick womancing / And then a shower."

2 comments:

  1. When I'm not farming, I teach English as a Second Language. And all I can say is have fun with that project. And it will be funnier if you drink, which was my strategy for many a late night grading session :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished a couple glasses of wine with dinner. Should make things go faster, and maybe I'll understand it better! Thanks for the advice :-)

    ReplyDelete